News Releases

Louisiana Military in Combat Zones Receive State Tax Filing Extensions

March 21, 2003

BATON ROUGE – Military personnel who are assigned to combat zones in and around Iraq and Afghanistan will receive extensions for filing their 2002 Louisiana individual income tax return, according to Revenue Secretary Cynthia Bridges.

Bridges says all federal filing extensions granted to Louisiana military personnel will be recognized for Louisiana returns. This means the extension begins when those military personnel begin serving in the combat zone and will extend an additional 180 days after leaving the combat zone or being dismissed from a hospital if wounded. To the extent that federal law allows, interest and penalties attributable to the filing extension will not be charged, Bridges says.

Personnel receiving combat zone filing extensions, or persons representing those personnel, should note the name of the combat zone and dates of service in that zone at the top of their state return and also on its return envelope. Any power of attorney or any statement signed by the taxpayer authorizing another person to act on his behalf should also be attached to the return.

For information about individual income tax filing extensions for combat zone personnel, see Revenue Information Bulletin No. 03-008 posted on the Department''s Internet web page at You may also contact any of the following regional offices of the Louisiana Department of Revenue: Alexandria, 900 Murray Street, Room B-100, (318) 487-5333; Baton Rouge (Headquarters Office), 617 North Third Street, (225) 219-0102; Baton Rouge (Regional Office), 8549 United Plaza, Suite 200, (225) 922-2300; Lafayette, 825 Kaliste Saloom Road, Brandywine III, Suite 150, (337) 262-5455; Lake Charles, One Lakeshore Drive, Suite 1550, (337) 491-2504; Monroe, 122 St. John Street, Room 105, (318) 362-3151; New Orleans, 1555 Poydras Street, Suite 900, (504) 568-5233; Shreveport, 1525 Fairfield Avenue, (318) 676-7505; and Thibodaux, 1418 Tiger Drive, (985) 447-0976.

For media inquiries, contact:
Byron Henderson
Public Information Director